Visit Junction City | Junction City Historical Society | Our Photo Album

Junction City Hotel & Opera House

In 1891 pioneer James A. Bushnell built the hotel block, constructed entirely of brick at a cost of $20,000. It was located on Front and Seventh Street. The building occupied a half block of Front Street, which was the main street in town. This block housed the hotel, G. S. Keck Barber Shop, Mrs. Sibbet's Millinery, S.P. Gilmore General Merchandise and the C. F. Hulbert Store. Above these business houses was a large and magnificent opera house, 50' by 100' considered the finest between Seattle and San Francisco. This second story also included a ballroom. School Graduation exercises were held at the opera house. The entire block burned in 1915. This was the last of the big Junction city fires and it changed the business pattern from facing Front Street and the railroad tracks to facing 6th Street and expanding West.